As a nonprofit, federally owned enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is active in over 130 countries worldwide, implementing international cooperation projects and measures in the field of sustainable development on behalf of the German Government, as well as other national and international clients (e.g. EU, private enterprises, and foundations). In addition, GIZ is also engaged in the field of professional training around the globe.
With over 30 years of experience implementing projects in the People’s Republic of China, GIZ provides policy advice on various topics and sectors relating to China’s reform process, including: environmental protection, sustainable economic development (especially renewable energies and energy efficiency), sustainable urban development, sustainable transport development, vocational training, law, product safety and consumer protection.
The performance profile of GIZ is continually being adapted to the cooperation needs of both countries – within the framework of the “Comprehensive Sino-German Strategic Partnership” – as well as within the framework of the dynamic changes occurring as a part of Chinese reform policies. In addition, GIZ works as both adviser and service provider at the interface between the economic and political spheres. GIZ is also active in those fields in which German actors possess in-depth profiles and competitive advantages, and where German expertise is in high demand.
|About this job:
In our project “Reduction of plastic waste and marine litter in East and Southeast Asia in China” based in Beijing we are looking for a highly motivated and professional Senior Technical Advisor with a strong technical background and coordination skill, ideally in areas related to circular economy, marine litter and waste management and extensive experience in project management, especially the management of EU funded project. The successful candidate will be responsible for the achievement of the programme contractual targets in China.
- Screen relevant stakeholders and their interests/ needs in China, mobilize stakeholders (public, private, civil society); advise national institutions on policy reforms related to the result areas with support of regional key experts and short-term experts,
- Coordinate the elaboration and implementation of a work plan in China with partners, ensure coordination with the EU delegation and partner ministries,
- Plan and organize, with support from key regional experts and administrative assistant, technical workshops and 1-2 high-level events on plastic waste prevention and management as well as sustainable plastics value chains and the reduction of marine litter from sea-based sources,
- Plan, coordinate, conduct meetings and trainings with national project partners; support study tours and site visits; guide the financial assistant in organizing events
- Select, together with key regional experts and under the supervision of the team leader, pilot projects to be implemented or up-scaled/ disseminated, and accompany their implementation with the support of short-term experts and regional key experts,
- ensure the proper implementation of local subsidies and grants together with financial assistant,
- Supervise/support the missions of international/ regional short-term experts and other service suppliers who might be mobilised to support the implementation of activities in China (dialogue on priority interests of partners for technical assistance, forms of technical assistance and dialogue, content to be provided in studies, workshops etc.),
- Steer the contracting of national short-term consultants and service suppliers (consultants with a specific expertise, interpreters, translators, event organizers, etc.) including profiles identification, terms of reference elaboration, follow-up and reporting of activities based on ToR,
- Monitor and ensure the quality of services and deliverables, as well as technical reporting expected from grants recipients; organise on-field missions if needed,
- Monitor activities and regularly report/ exchange with team leader/ key regional experts, quarterly written update (1/2 pager); inputs to annual progress reports,
- Accompany awareness raising and communication activities in collaboration with NGOs or other partner organizations,
- Ensure proper visibility of the programme in China, and participate in the dissemination of results, experiences and best practices,
- Organize and facilitate national steering committee meetings and other meetings during the programme,
- University degree in the fields of waste management, environmental science / management, marine protection, economics, political science or similar,
- More than 5 years of professional experience related to waste management, circular economy and sustainable consumption and production/ green economy, (plastic) waste reduction and recycling, marine litter and marine protection,
- Experience in policy advice in related thematic areas and ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders (high-level political representatives, local state and non-state representatives); Strong negotiating and diplomatic skills,
- Experience in designing, organizing and facilitating trainings, workshops and conferences; proven experience in network management, multi-stakeholder dialogues
- Experience in drafting recommendation papers, guidelines strategies, and legislative proposals,
- Good knowledge of relevant stakeholders in the sector required, knowledge of the international framework and/or of EU legislation and good practices on the topic is an asset,
- Knowledge of European Commission procedures and priorities and experience in working with donor agencies, esp. the EU, is a strong asset,
- Strong working capacity, autonomy, flexibility, organization, responsiveness,
- Chinese mother tongue, fluent written and oral knowledge in English; German speaking is preferred
- Complete fluency in English (spoken and written), excellent command of Chinese language, knowledge of other languages of the region will be an asset,
- Experience in communication campaigns and in designing gender-sensitive messages and activities; knowledge of local information distribution channels (TV, radio, papers, websites, social media, etc.) would be beneficial.
|| above 5 years
|How to apply:
Please send your complete application (with the subject: Application for 2019-500) incl. cover letter, CV, references and photo indicating your starting date and salary expectations in Chinese and English, via e-mail as soon as possible to:
Ms. Zhu Wenjuan
In addition, please mention in your cover letter how you got to know about our job advertisement.