The German Chamber of Commerce in China | Shanghai (GCC Shanghai) is the representative organization for German companies in Shanghai and the provinces of Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui, Shandong, Henan and Hubei. As part of the world-wide German Chamber network, the mission of the GCC Shanghai is to promote economic ties between the Federal Republic of Germany and the People’s Republic of China with a special focus on its geographical area. With about 1600 member companies, the GCC Shanghai provides a forum for its members and advocates member interests with relevant organizations. The GCC Shanghai, together with the Delegation of German Industry & Commerce and the German Industry & Commerce are the overall platform for Sino-German trade and industry promotion in East China.
|About this job:
We are looking to quickly fill the position of
Project Assistant Regions
As the Project Assistant Regions,
- You are responsible for handling the administrative and logistic tasks of the event preparation, execution, and follow-up process of the German Chamber events in the neighboring provinces; particularly the organization of business and social events in Zhejiang and Jiangsu. This also includes. the organization and moderation of events in Chinese language.
- You will work closely with the Regional Manager and other Project Managers to develop and update the yearly event and topic planning.
- You support the Regional Manager in positioning the German Chamber within the Chinese market as an important partner by engaging German and Chinese employees of (non-) member companies via (Chinese) business events and membership services. This work is also aimed at providing better services to existing members and to attract new members.
- Moreover, you support the membership department by communicating with members as well as non-members mainly from the neighboring provinces about the services and benefits of the German Chamber of Commerce in China | Shanghai.
- You build and maintain close coordination with other internal departments of the German Chamber network (AHK) and (potential) external partners to find synergies and cooperation opportunities. This requires diplomatic sensitivity when handling members, partners and when interacting with official departments.
YOUR SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- You act as the main contact person for administrative and logistic preparation, execution and follow-up of events organized by the German Chamber in the Neighboring Provinces.
- Your specific tasks include event scheduling and venue search, negotiation with and preparation of venues, catering and dealing with other suppliers, maintenance of the capacity planning schedule, administration of the invitation management and event follow-up.
- You organize and prepare events independently in cooperation with the Regional Manager, including administrative and logistic organization as well as close cooperation with respective workshop leaders, speakers and participants.
- You support the preparation of communication materials related to the organization of events (incl. event newsletter, event reviews and event statistics for various publications).
- You support the Regional Manager with sponsor search (including contracting) for events with sponsoring.
Relationship Management & Business Development
- You represent the Regional Manager in case of temporary absence by participating in local events, fairs, and company openings.
- You are responsible for relationship management with members, suppliers (event venues, catering, agencies, etc.), including acquiring new partners, negotiating with partners, developing the relationship by i.e. via supplier briefing and de-briefing (lessons learned process).
- You support the regional manager in government relations.
- You develop with the Regional Manager new event concepts (GM Luncheons, company visits, new formats) in the neighboring provinces and targeted offers for the member companies in the provinces (such as newsletter for the neighboring provinces, sponsorship concepts for the neighboring provinces, etc.).
Administrative and other tasks
- You support the Regional Manager in keeping the budget and also in the reporting (i.e. forecasting, budgeting, internal reporting structure and follow-up etc.).
- You support the translation of required documents (e.g. for event preparation, and newsletter publication).
- You assist the Regional Manager in daily tasks.
- Fluent in Chinese and English, German language skills are a plus.
- Project and event management experience.
- Experienced in negotiating contracts.
- Experienced in cooperating with suppliers (especially hotel cooperation).
- Willingness to travel within the province, driver’s license and car ownership are a plus.
- A high degree of quality and service orientation.
- Excellent command of MS Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint and experience with database and CRM management.
- Very good personal and social skills, such as diplomatic, intercultural, and social competency.
- Ability to working independently required to achieve individual tasks.
- Strong team working spirit to cooperate with the Regional Manager and the project management team to meet deadlines, targets and support the handling of complex projects.
- The person in this position should be able to develop ideas and make suggestions for improvements within the role, the department and the business.
- Willingness to work overtime, work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.