The German Chamber of Commerce in China | Shanghai (GCC Shanghai) is the representative organization for German companies in Shanghai and the provinces of Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui, Shandong, Henan and Hubei. As part of the world-wide German Chamber network, the mission of the GCC Shanghai is to promote economic ties between the Federal Republic of Germany and the People’s Republic of China with a special focus on its geographical area. With about 1600 member companies, the GCC Shanghai provides a forum for its members and advocates member interests with relevant organizations. The GCC Shanghai, together with the Delegation of German Industry & Commerce and the German Industry & Commerce are the overall platform for Sino-German trade and industry promotion in East China.
|About this job:
To strengthen our team as soon as possible, we are looking for an experienced
Economic Analyst (m/w)
- Development of a conceptual framework as well as implementation and analysis of surveys conducted by the German Chamber of Commerce, such as the annual Labor Market & Salary Report etc. Close coordination with external partners for conducting such surveys, external communication of the survey results to the media, the public and Chamber members at different locations:
- Salary Survey: project management, coordination with external partner, conceptual input, content coordination with regional chambers, input for external communication in coordination with Senior Communications Manager, support for promotional roadshow
- Business Confidence Survey: conceptual input for project lead (regional chamber Beijing), facilitation of data collection for Shanghai chamber, alignment of content and key messages in coordination with team Shanghai and project lead, composition of briefing materials for press conference
- Innovation survey: project management, liaise with project partner, conceptual input, input for external communication in coordination with Senior Communications Manager, support for promotional activities
- Other surveys: project management, monitor response rates and liaise with regional chambers
- Analysis and interpretation of current economic data, related policies and the legal framework in China in order to ascertain economic trends and their impact on Sino-German economic ties for the purpose of:
- Drafting German Chamber’s key media, public and member company messages
- Monitoring of current events and news in China’s economy as thematic input for lobbying actions, policy updates, publications and events.
- Regular updates and analytical reports about China’s economic environment for the Chamber’s internal use, as well as for information to the public, press and member companies (German Chamber Ticker and other print publications, newsletters, social media, website)
- Building of a database of key economic indicators.
- Support for other German Chamber projects as needed.
- Excellent written and spoken English and German (Chinese is an additional advantage) and an ability to summarize complex information on economic topics in a precise and easily accessible manner
- Bachelor degree or higher (required majors: economic studies with a focus on macroeconomy or related)
- Minimum of two years working experience, working experience in China is an advantage
- Experience with:
- statistical analysis and survey design
- statistical databases and analysis tools (e.g. SAS/STAT and other econometric software)
- research on background information, including Chinese language sources
- reporting economic contents to the public and the media
- Excellent command of MS Office, especially Excel and Powerpoint
- Enthusiasm for conveying economic issues to a senior specialist and non-specialist audience
- Responsible and reliable, with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a high-stress environment with strict deadlines while addressing the needs of local and German stakeholders
- High degree of flexibility and versatility, extremely detail-oriented
- Willingness to accept a limited amount of travel for work
- Cultural sensitivity as well as eagerness to work in an international team